Sunday 20 May 2012

Diabetes Blog Week 2012: Saturday Snapshots

Saturday 05/19 Back for the third year, let’s show everyone what life with diabetes looks like!  With a nod to the Diabetes 365 project, let’s grab our cameras again and share some more d-related pictures.  Post as many or as few as you’d like.  Feel free to blog your thoughts on or explanations of your pictures, or leave out the written words and let the pictures speak for themselves.

I spent quite a while considering what to do for this post, since I didn't really feel I had a huge amount of photos to add this year.  I thought about using one of the wildcards, but then I decided to do something different.

Five weeks ago, I got married.  I'd decided beforehand that I was going to do  my best to make diabetes as small a part of my day as possible, and I pretty much succeeded.  My bridesmaid's had hypo treatment in their bags, my chief bridesmaid had my meter and related stuff, and I managed to keep my levels fairly stable throughout the day.

I use an insulin pump to manage my diabetes, and about a month before the wedding I got in touch with Animas and asked if they could send me a couple of sets with longer tubing, just so I had options on the day.  They sent me eight, four of each of the sets I use. I was very impressed!   worked with my dress maker to sort out where I was going to store the pump during the day, and he made me a pocket so that I could hide the pump, but still get access to it when I needed it.


So, to make this picture diabetes related: can you spot my pump? ;)



I said that I managed to keep my levels mostly stable throughout the day, and that's true.  I only had two stumbling blocks during the day; the 27.5 I hit before dinner (damn adrenaline - who'd have thought walking down the aisle would be so scary!), which came down nicely with a correction, and I dropped low in the evening during the dancing, at which point I used the very handy pick and mix we had set up for our guests to treat the hypo... ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment