Monday 14 May 2012

Diabetes Blog Week 2012: Finding a Friend

Monday 4/14 It seems the most popular thing about Diabetes Blog Week is that it helps us find blogs we weren’t reading yet and connect with some new blog friends.  With that in mind, let’s kick off Diabetes Blog Week by making some new connections.  Think about the d-blogs you read that you think we may not know about and introduce us to one that you love!!  Let’s all find a new friend today! 

There are several blogs I follow regularly, and you can see them on my reading list at the side here ->
I'm looking forward to seeing what other people post today and hope to pick up a few more blogs to add.  It was difficult to pick a couple of blogs to highlight from my own list, but here goes!

Shootuporputup  This was one of the first diabetes blogs I came across when I first started poking around the DOC.  I immediately loved the attitude that Tim and Alison showed towards diabetes, and the blog is informative and funny and, when I first started reading it, one of the rarer UK-based blogs.  I love the slightly irreverent view of diabetes while still acknowledging it as a serious thing.  I'm very much a believer in using humour and fun to help you through things, and this site is a great example of that.  One day I will make it to a shootup meetup - despite coming from Glasgow and visiting fairly often, I have yet to time it so that I'm up when there's a meetup in Edinburgh!

Everydayupsanddowns  I came across Mike's blog after reading some of his posts on the diabetessupport boards.  I found his blog to be just as thoughtful and interesting as his forum posts, and I continue to enjoy his posts.  He posts wonderfully though out posts about his diabetes experiences, and I've particularly enjoyed reading his transition from MDI to pump.  As someone who had no doubts of reservations about pumping, it has been really enlightening to read what it's like from the point of view of someone who was came at it in a more cautious way.


Sixuntilme  I'm sure pretty much everyone already reads Kerri's blog, but it's one that has always struck a chord with me.  I love the way Kerri blogs about life with diabetes, and again, it was one of the first I came across and had the whole 'omg it's not just me!!' revelation.  One of the things that had particular struck me about this blog is that Kerri's a little bit ahead of me in dealing with the big things in life, like marriage and kids, and it's been especially inspiring to read about these things  from someone who's actually going through it.  I actually took printouts from the post about pumps and wedding dresses to my wedding dress person to show him what I wanted him to do with my pump, and it worked fantastically, and so when I think about what's going to happen in the future when we start thinking about kids, it's blogs like this that actually make me believe I can do it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment