Thursday 17 May 2012

Diabetes Blog Week 2012: Fantasy Diabetes Device

Thursday 05/17 Today let’s tackle an idea inspired by Bennet of Your Diabetes May Vary.  Tell us what your Fantasy Diabetes Device would be?  Think of your dream blood glucose checker, delivery system for insulin or other meds, magic carb counter, etc etc etc.  The sky is the limit – what would you love to see?
So there are many cool things going on in the world of diabetes right now - the artificial pancreas, the search for faster insulins, more accurate CGMs etc

So I'm not going to talk about them, but if I could wave a magic wand and have any diabetes device I wanted? I would have a magic carb counter.  Something that I could point at a meal, a piece of cake, a bowl of fruit, anything that I a about to eat and press a button and "bing!" it would tell me exactly how many carbs are in it. That would be awesome.  It would take so much of the guesswork out of managing my diabetes, especially when eating out, or away from home.  Hell, even at home when i just want to have a handful or grapes or some ice cream or something without actually weighing it or measuring it.

Not to mention those times where you're out and you order food and when it arrives it's one of those things that are really difficult to count (and don't get me started on sauces or soups - it's so hard to guess what people have put in them!) Or like when I used to go to formal halls when I was doing my PhD (basically fancy three course meals held at different colleges) and I'd be served something and have no idea what it even *was* never mind how to count it...

It's not a huge thing, and I doubt we'll ever get anything that will be that amazing, but it's one thing that I dream of. I'd love to be able to just eat food and take one of the variables out of it. That would be awesome. :)


1 comment:

  1. Love it! If you invent this magic wand I'll be the first to buy one! ;)

    ReplyDelete